Tuesday, December 18, 2012

JOY wood blocks


From an old play set to a Christmas decoration, check out my JOY to the WORLD wood blocks!



Yes, I took several old 4x4s that had been lying around behind our shed from a play set demolition and made these.  Here's how:
{materials}
4x4s, cut into square blocks (finished blocks measure 3.5" square)
power sander, if you have one
chalkboard paint
scrapbooking paper - cut four 3" squares for each block
letters to put on fronts (details below)
pictures to put on sides (details below)
Mod Podge - I used matte
sandpaper for distressing
I started by using my orbital sander to round down the edges and corners of each block.  If you don't have a  power sander, you could skip this step and just leave the edges square.

Next, paint each block with a couple coats of chalkboard paint.  I can't remember if I primed these, which means probably not.

While you are waiting for the paint to dry, you can work on your letters in PicMonkey - I used white type on a black background.  Then I chose some individual photos of my kids along with group pictures of our whole family from Christmases past and tied them all together with a sepia effect. The finished size of each image is 3" square.

 

When the paint is dry, mod podge all of the sides on.  I put the photos to the right side of the letters on all the blocks so they would be in same position on each one.  You could use more pictures instead of the scrapbooking paper too if you wanted.


Finally, I dry brushed a little chalkboard paint over some of my paper edges and distressed the joints a bit with a small piece of sandpaper (an emory board works great too).  And there you have it!  Pure JOY!

{Linking up to a few of my favorite parties...}

1 comment:

Kirby Dunton Carespodi said...

These are cool, and I love your kids. Can I have Marty?