Monday, December 10, 2012

butterfly art


I've been working on my older daughter's room for way too long now.  Let's see, I started just before LAST Christmas! But I'm starting to see the pieces come together.  I chose green paint for the walls, gray furniture, and turquoise bedding, and I was struggling a bit as to how to tie them together.  Finally, a theme is emerging.

I started with the frame.  I had originally bought this for my mother-in-law's 80th birthday celebration.  I really didn't have in mind that I might use it anywhere else, but the dark silver seemed to want to be near the gray furniture.  Seeing a chance to tie in the turquoise, I created a sign in Publisher using a turquoise background and had it printed at FedEx Kinko's to fit the frame.  "Born to Fly" seems appropriate for both the butterflies and my daughter, who is a quite capable and independent young lady (and a daredevil to boot).

Next, inspired by Layla's mantle (below), I bought a butterfly punch for half off and went crazy with a couple of old magazines.  I also found the larger paper butterflies on clearance at Hobby Lobby.  I wasn't sure how I'd use them, but I bought them anyway and worked them in.  A little hot glue and whole kaleidoscope was fluttering away. (Yep, I just glued them right to the wall.)

                                    Source: theletteredcottage.net via Tisha on Pinterest



I love how all the colors in the butterflies pick up a hodgepodge of colors - the pink dollhouse, the purple mouse bedding, and all of Mary's books, pictures, and accessories - scattered around the room.


Soon I hope to finish my knockoff of Jessica's specimen art and a couple of capiz chandeliers.  I'm working to have the reveal ready shortly after Christmas.  Hopefully this Christmas!

{Linking up to a few of my favorite parties...}

5 comments:

Jessica Plattner said...

This is a really cute idea. Nice work on the butterflies! :)

Jessica @ Stay at Home-ista said...

I thought this looked familiar:) So happy that it's working out for you, now our daughters can have coordinating green rooms with butterflies on the wall. That is, until mine decides she wants something else!

Happy Holidays.

thethinkingcloset said...

This turned out beautifully! I love the explosion of butterflies. Surely, this was a lot of hard work. Brava, Tisha!

Mariel said...

So pretty! I'd love for you to share this or any of your great ideas at the link party going on now (and every Saturday - Tuesday) at 'Or so she says ...' We've also got an exciting giveaway going on now that includes a chance to win a BlendTec. Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

Tara T. McIlrath said...

This is so pretty!! I know Mary loves it! What a fun way to tie in all the colors.