Monday, August 13, 2012

turquoise bathroom sink


Welcome to my fourth installment of Blogging without Borders.  Each member of the group is working on a project that should stretch her limits and include some things that she has never done before.  For my challenge, I have chosen to redecorate Mr. Main Bathroom with a zero dollar budget (with the exception of the replacement sinks and faucets that my husband bought for the project).  All of my supplies are being pulled together from my DIY hoard.  So hopefully I'm getting a two-fer - redoing the bathroom and cleaning out the craft room & garage! 


This week I am so excited to show our new old sink!

The sink cabinet in here has been disgusting.  I couldn't store anything inside because it smelled really musty and old-lady-ish.  And it was plain white with dirty, chipped paint and rusty hinges.

Before:

But despite the grossness of the cabinet, the first order of business was to change out the sinks.  I really loved those high back ones we had, but the only replacement faucets for those are special order and rather expensive.  As you may notice from the before photo, the faucets we had were two different styles, and several things were not working correctly on them, so they really needed to be replaced.  Charles decided just to buy some new sinks and cheaper faucets instead of trying to get the special faucets for these.

Here is my hero installing the new sinks.  He did not want me to take a picture of him and asked if he was going to get a cool disguise like D.  How do you like it, dear?


While he worked on this, I was busy painting the cabinet.  I decided to try to reclaim the storage space by removing the doors and center supports, then painting and sealing to trap in the musty smell.  The paint color is a hodge-podge of paint leftovers from the garage - mostly a minty green-gray from our living room & dining room mixed with a bright turquoisey blue from a toy chest.  I put a coat of paint on the bottom of a galvanized vase I had stored away, too.


I even painted the insides of the drawers (ooh, aah).  Not trying to be fancy, just trying to cover the old toothpaste stains.



You'll notice I got new hardware.  I had rounded up a few supplies and receipts that we had not used for previous projects, so I took those back to Lowe's and used the credit for these handles.  Charles said this was cheating on the challenge.  What?  But I didn't buy anything!
"No," he said.  "The challenge was not to buy anything."  Hmmm.  This communication in marriage thing is pretty tough.  But they are already installed, so we're keeping them.
I moved the baskets from the nursery and stuffed them with toilet paper, bath toys, hand towels, and unmatched socks (I don't know).

LOVE!


Please visit my friends who are blogging without borders today:

Amy @ Buffalo RoamCassie @Primitive & ProperDana @ Crafted Niche
Debbie @ ReFresh ReStyleHeidi @ Décor & MoreHolly @ Life as a Thrifter
Jaime @ Crafty Scrappy HappyJessica @ Stay At Home-ista
Karah @ the space betweenKelly @ View Along the WayKirby @ Kirb Appeal
On August 27, I'll show you the whole room with my summer-full of changes.   The shower curtain is ready, and I'm working on some fun accessories for the big reveal!


{Linking up to a few fabulous parties:}


35 comments:

Kirby Dunton Carespodi said...

This looks great! (My challenge is to spend no NEW money--so if I sell something, I get to spend that money on stuff for the project. Works for me!)

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

WOW! what a difference- so open and modern. love the new hardware!

Whitney @ drab to fab design said...

Love the color you created, and the new hardware is so chic!

Jaye @ Just Trying to Make Cents of it All! said...

What a transformation! I think the hardware looks perfect, technically purchased or not!!!

I couldn't find a place to "follow" you but know that I am. I'll look forward to the emailed posts!

Bliss said...

Beautiful!

~Bliss~

Laura from Top This Top That said...

I love the color of your cabinets. Looks great. I love your hubby's shades.

Holly @ Life as a Thrifter said...

WHAT a fabulous I dea to take those doors off! Such a difference! It looks fantastic!

Amy@BuffaloRoam said...

HAHAHA!! Love the disguise! His glasses are especially fantastic.

Almost as fantastic as your bathroom is looking. I am such a sucker for galvanized anything.. and the color and baskets below are just beautiful!

Kelly @ View Along the Way said...

WHAT?! This is CRAZY beautiful. Stunning. Magazine worthy. I LOVE it!

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

Tisha, this is AWESOME! I love your solution to the cabinet mustiness -- now that it's painted and open, problem solved!
And no, you did NOT cheat on the challenge -- you're being "resourceful" IMO. :)
Love!!
xo Heidi

The Johnsons- Deep in the Heart of...Arkansas?!! said...

oh wow I really, really LOVE this project! I am so inspired to tackle our boring vanity now. Thanks!

frugal-interior-design said...

A super makeover! Amazing what a can of paint (love the custom color) and new hardware can accomplish. Great accessorizing too. I'm crazy about the open lower shelf with baskets!

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

This is just gorgeous!!!!! I'll be featuring it next week.
XO
Kristin

Jessica @ HomewithBaxter said...

Hi Tisha, this looks sooo good! I love those faucets!! I nominated you the Sunshine Award. If you're interested, check it out at http://www.homewithbaxter.com/2012/08/sunshine-award-and-nominations.html

Debra said...

Love it! The color turned out great. Hope you're enjoying it. :)

Geneva said...

I love your refreshed bathroom vanity... Wow! You guys did a great job of brining it into the new century! This was exciting to see!! Thank You!

Glamorous Mommy said...

Wow, this looks fantastic!!! Huge success.. Found you via Ginger Snap Craftsf linky party!

-- Fotini {http://glamorousbride.blogspot.com}

Kim (TheMoney-Pit) said...

You totally didn't cheat! You repurposed stuff you had on hand! :D Next up: Collecting cans for the deposit, then you can afford something else!

It looks so awesome, especially for no money!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

WOW Tisha what an awesome transformation! LOVE IT!!

Comeca Jones said...

Fabulous!!!

K Coake said...

It looks fantastic. I love the look of the baskets, handles and I love the color you picked.

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

I have the same handles in our kitchen (and hang a hand towel from it!) ...so handy! great color! love the open shelves

Ms. Redo said...

Found your link at Shabby and couldn't wait to visit - wow! I am so going to do this with my cabinets in my "World's Smallest Bathroom" - removing the doors will open up that tiny space so much. And in keeping with your challenge, I happen to have paint on hand that would work perfect. Thanks so much for the inspiration! Mary

Jessica @ Stay at Home-ista said...

Love the new color! My hubs also wants to stay off the blog:) What's up with that?

Jessica

houseontheway.com said...

This is a gorgeous transformation! I love the color and it was a great idea! I'd love for you to share it at my blog party, Twirl & Take a Bow at www.houseontheway.com. I think it would make a great addition to the party. It's every Tuesday through Sunday. Hope you can stop by!
Leslie

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Oh My! What a transformation! Beautifully done! Thank you for sharing. Visiting from The Shabby Creek. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/08/make-it-pretty-monday-week-10.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Rose Craft Guild said...

This is beautiful. Come link it up with us: http://www.finecraftguild.com/party/

Between Blue and Yellow said...

What a great idea! You could even add little feet to the bottom to make it look more like a dresser. Great work!

michele said...

truly genius!!!!

looks fabulous. found you via MMS's party where i'm partying too. would love to have you as a follower.

smiles and happy weekend.

michele

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

Hahaha, this is awesome and think you're totally in your self proclaimed rules ... I thought you couldn't spend any money, so I say you're good. And that cabinet looks seriously awesome!! Sharing on fb.

Kate said...

Fabulous transformation, I love the colour and that you used some on the vase :)

Cindy said...

I love this idea! What a great way to upcycle an old vanity! And the color is perfect! Visiting from Funky Junk's SNS. Great job! :o)
~Cindy

James Brown said...

Interesting and valuable information about the bathroom and skin and also mention the plumbing services it;s very nice blog.
long bathroom sink with two faucets

Dorothy said...

Such an amazing blog about the american standard plumbing fixtures I really appreciate you work which you have done well.
long bathroom sink with two faucets

Hristo Yanev said...

Hi guys,
Thank you so much for this wonderful article really!
If someone want to know more about the Long Bathroom Sink With Two Faucets I think this is the right place for you!