Monday, July 2, 2012

bathroom makeover preview {bwob 1}

Today is a very exciting day in our home.  One of our most neglected rooms is finally going to see himself on the blog.  So, who gets the next makeover?  Drum roll, please...
(If you read the post title, I guess the suspense is lacking, but he deserves a little fanfare.)

Mr. Main Bathroom!

We have lived in our basement rancher for almost eight years, and the main bathroom has seen the least in improvements.  Like, zero.  In fact, this room has probably had un-provements (or is it de-provements?).  I have taken down a towel bar and left the anchors exposed.  The side strip came off the countertop laminate and was never replaced.  Neither faucet works properly, and they both leak like crazy - we even had to turn the cold water off on one side.  Currently there is no window treatment, no rug, no matching towels.  Heck, there isn't even toilet paper on the roll in the "BEFORE" photos...
I guess I keep putting this off because I want to wait until I can go whole hog - I want to do it right, and there are so many changes I'd like to make.  That, and maybe the fact that I never use this bathroom.

Luckily, I have some very motivating bloggy friends who came up with a fun idea for a summer project.


Blogging without Borders - this is a project that should stretch my limits and include some things that I have never done before.  Hmmm, something I've never done before.  Then my husband makes an announcement - "I'd really like to fix those bathroom sinks this summer."  

I've never tried plumbing, but no way Charles is going to let me touch that.  So maybe I could take the angle of  a project where the budget would have no bounds - I would be free to do the remodel that I (& Main) have been waiting for!

Instead, our summer mantra is all about spending cuts.  No new money.  So here's my challenge:  to remodel our bathroom with the sinks that Charles has planned (literally, sinks - just the basins and the faucets, no new cabinetry or countertops) and the stuff I have on hand in my garage and craft room.  Now THAT is something stretching.

I may even try to do something about this...


Please visit my friends who are blogging without borders today:

Amy @ Buffalo RoamCassie @Primitive & ProperDana @ Crafted Niche
Debbie @ ReFresh ReStyleHeidi @ Décor & MoreHolly @ Life as a Thrifter
Jaime @ Crafty Scrappy HappyJessica @ Stay At Home-ista
Karah @ the space betweenKelly @ View Along the WayKirby @ Kirb Appeal
And be sure to check back over the next few weeks to see Main's updates.  We'll be posting every other Monday (July 16, July 30, Aug. 13 & Aug. 27) throughout the summer with our changes.  I'm hoping to show you a little lumber in my next post.

I'd love to hear about your summer projects plans, too - do you have any projects you could tackle that would break some borders?

16 comments:

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

i am doing a bathroom, too! but mine is in a much uglier before state. :) i am excited to see what you do!

Laura @ cookiecrumbsandsawdust.blogspot said...

Tisha,

This sounds like such a great idea! And plumbing isn't that scary. We have done a few plumbing projects over here. Can't wait to see.

Laura

reFresh reStyle said...

We are both doing bathrooms, mine is a lot smaller than yours! I'm such slacker ;). I can't wait to watch what all you do!
Debbie

Kirby Dunton Carespodi said...

I'm doing the living room, but I'm also on the "no new money" train. After 52 years, I've accumulated enough crap from which to choose!

Holly @ Life as a Thrifter said...

I love a bathroom change-up! Excited to see what you have in store!

Shannon at Fox Hollow Cottage said...

I love bathroom makeovers!! I look forward to seeing the changes =)

Amy@BuffaloRoam said...

Woo hoo! This is going to be good. Can't wait to follow along!

Laura from Top This Top That said...

Tisha- can't wait to see your reveal and your progress on the cheap.
PS- hey that closet looks like mine!!

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

Ooo, this is a good one, Tisha!! Can't wait to follow along!
xo heidi

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

You've taken on a big one ... can't wait to watch your progress and celebrate the reveal!

:)

Linda

Dana @ CraftedNiche.com said...

Wow! I'm impressed! I can't wait to see this transformation!

Eclectically Vintage said...

Mr. Main Bathroom will soon be The Bachelor of Bathrooms with all the women fighting over him and his fabulous new roll of toilet paper!

I know it will be so fabulous that you'll spend all your time in there!! Make sure to stock plenty of books!!!
Kelly

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

Well, your post title said BWOB and I read BYOB, so I am on my way and I'm bringing my own TP too. :) Can't wait to see what you do with that space, I know it's going to be awesome!

thistlewoodfarm said...

Tisha,

I know that this is going to be amazing! You really have a great eye....and this BWOB is so exciting. Who doesn't love a before and after!

blessings,
karianne

Whitney @ drab to fab design said...

You are practically the queen of transforming without spending much! You've got a good space to work with. We are getting ready to stain our hardwood floors...talk about scary!!

Kelly @ View Along the Way said...

Yay, excited to see what you do in here!