Monday, July 30, 2012

bathroom art & batten {bwob 3}



Woohoo!! Welcome to the third installment of Blogging without Borders.  This is a project that should stretch my limits and include some things that I have never done before.  (And there is an unwritten rule that wine is supposed to play some role in the project, although I learned a long time ago that drinking and painting don't always pair well.)  My challenge - to remodel our main bathroom using only the supplies I already have on hand in my garage and craft room.  (My hubby is going to pitch in two new sinks and faucets, but I am supposed to stick to a ZERO budget.)  So far, I've shown you the Before photos of Mr. Main and Step 1 of the wall makeover.

I am currently obsessed with painting huge canvases, so I had a fun idea for the giant blank spot above the toilet.  Initially, I planned to go with a turquoise & coral color scheme, but as I've been working on the room, Main has been talking to me.  "No coral," he said.  "Brown."  Hmmm.  Interesting.


flush.  wash.  brush.  so simple, yet so necessary in a bathroom shared by six children.

You might notice that since last time I did paint the lower half of the wall white, and WAIT!  That looks like batten!  Yes, my hero husband did a garage clean out last weekend and found some planks hiding in a back corner.  I was all set to go with KariAnne's great idea to do stripes, but I'll save that one for another day.

Anyway, back to the art.  I built this canvas myself (sort of).  We had a huge strip of MDF in the garage, so I had Charles cut the biggest square possible from it (because he wisely discourages me from using power saws), which turned out to be 30"x30".  Then, to make it more lightweight, he cut out a square in the middle, leaving a 3-4" frame around the outside.  I wrapped a large piece of heavy canvas (which used to be part of a craft table) over and around and stapled it to the back of the frame.  I cut my letters out of an old roll of contact paper, stuck them on, and mixed and matched some leftover paints to create the colors.


And while we were cleaning, I found something that made my heart very glad.  My plan has been to paint a shower curtain - canvas drop cloth with a turquoise damask design.  Then I remembered my sister's old duvet cover that we had cut up to make some things for my niece's room (so cute - I'll have to chase down those photos), and guess what - it's a linen-y turquoise damask!  I adore this fabric, and I think there's enough to get something ready for next time (Aug. 13).  So, since I'm not painting my shower curtain now, I guess I can have that glass of wine.


Please visit my friends who are blogging without borders today.  They all have super-cool projects going on!

Amy @ Buffalo RoamCassie @Primitive & ProperDana @ Crafted Niche
Debbie @ ReFresh ReStyleHeidi @ Décor & MoreHolly @ Life as a Thrifter
Jaime @ Crafty Scrappy HappyJessica @ Stay At Home-ista
Karah @ the space betweenKelly @ View Along the WayKirby @ Kirb Appeal
Laura @Top This Top ThatShannon @ Fox Hollow Cottage

{Linking up to some of my favorite parties:}

12 comments:

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

that duvet will be perfect! and love your artwork!

Laura from Top This Top That said...

you are so stinkin resourceful!! I love your two colors on the canvas!

Kirby Dunton Carespodi said...

Oh Em Gee! SIX kids? No wonder you want to send me a few! I love the fabric on that duvet cover--my daughter had similar curtains in her old apartment and was sad that they wouldn't work in her new one. Needless to say, they came home with me.

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Your project feels perfect for summer! Give yourself a huge pat on the back. Well done!

Holly @ Life as a Thrifter said...

Love that picture! Inspiration, for sure!

Kelly @ View Along the Way said...

Score on the duvet! I can't wait to see how that looks.

And your art piece? PERFECTION. Love it!

Amy@BuffaloRoam said...

Very nice!!

Enjoy a glass for me, too. :)

Jessica @ Stay at Home-ista said...

You are blowing me out of the water:) I love the batten and the painting and the diy canvas!?!! Seriously, Tisha, you are taking this to the next level, extra bloggy pints for you:)

Jessica

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

YES, that fabric is awesome, will be just right. Love the canvas, too!!

Eclectically Vintage said...

Fabulous sign - hopefully everyone makes sure to follow it's rules!

Don't you just love that you can now sip wine instead of painting shower curtains - gotta love when a plan comes together!

Kelly

Whitney @ drab to fab design said...

You are so resourceful!! I love the canvas, and the new batten. That fabric will look SO good as a shower curtain!

Boelter said...

Perfect artwork for bathroom!