Saturday, July 14, 2012

ballard art knockoff

My latest project for my dear friend & client, Becky, is this large canvas art for her bedroom.




I started with a 36x36" art canvas which I got for 50% off at Joann's ($20), a handful of blue, green, white & brown acrylic paints I had on hand, and this inspiration from Ballard (Gold Swirls Abstract Print)...


I wanted this to be more blue than the Ballard one, and Becky wanted me to add the cross design.  My dots are more heavy-handed and my shapes are a less vine-like, but overall I think the effect is still quite nice.  And it was $230 cheaper than the original, so she's pretty happy with that!  

The art really fills up the space and adds a punch of color above the bed, while also picking up the wall color.  We're working on the rest of her bedroom too - the windows are done and such a huge change.  As soon as I get her chair painted(!) I'll be showing you that side of the room.

Well, I'm no artist, but it was so fun to paint such a huge canvas that I have an itch to try another one.  I just don't really have anywhere in my house for such a masterpiece.  Anyone want to commission my next work?



6 comments:

aimee said...

that is TOTALLY lovely!!! what an awesome job.
gives me some inspiration for something above our bed!

Kirby Dunton Carespodi said...

Pretty!

Eclectically Vintage said...

$230 cheaper - gotta love that!

You could be the next Grandma Moses - I see a future in painting!
Kelly

marissa said...

what a cool idea. I always need more stuff on my walls! I hope you'll be adding this to my What We Wore, Read and Made Wednesday Link Party


Marissa
http://raegunwear.blogspot.com

Amy@BuffaloRoam said...

I would totally buy that! Not even kidding - I love it!

PS - We have the same bedding! :)

reFresh reStyle said...

I love this!