Wednesday, June 6, 2012

fresh front porch

This post is brought to you by my friends Linda, Kelly, Karah and Karianne, without whose inspiration I never would have done this project...

I do not like to work outside.  I'm not sure that that sentence completely captured my feelings, so let me try again.  I DO NOT LIKE TO WORK OUTSIDE!!  Seriously, if I were being held captive and tortured to learn some kind of enemy secrets (since I know so many), all that would be necessary is for me to be forced to work outside.  I would cave in an instant.

Add this to the fact that no plant is safe with me.  One month, maybe two tops, is the life expectancy of any green thing that comes to live with us.

My husband doesn't mind the outdoor labors, but his emphasis is definitely more on function than beauty.  Nor does he have much of an interest in devoting funds to hiring out this type of thing.  Needless to say, we don't win any "Yard of the Month" awards.  So when this month's Mission Possible project was The Great Outdoors, I did not deliberate about what I would post.  There would be no outdoors post, great or otherwise.

But I loved their projects, and I loved the links.  I sat inside and looked at almost all of them.  Then I glanced out my window to look at my sad little yard.  Then I did this...



Okay, so I don't think we'll be drawing the attention of the neighborhood association for accolades just yet, but the folks who cast off that chair and those cute little fat birds may be taking a second look.

I'm a little worried that the petunias won't get enough direct light, but I'm an equal-opportunity plant killer, so we'll see how it goes.

And the best part of the project was that painting the chair and sewing the cushion covers took the better part of the day...INSIDE!  Now, I just need to make a "beware of the kids" sign like this one at Bliss Ranch.

{Linking up to some of my favorite parties:}
southern hospitality

9 comments:

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Very pretty Tisha, your fern is gorgeous!!

karen@somewhatquirky said...

You must live where it is hot outside. I find that I enjoy outdoors ever so much more now that I don't live were it is 102 in May. Those birds are sooo cute! Nice job on the chair. I see that sun coming in on the petunias - perhaps that will be enough. Your porch looks great!

Amy@BuffaloRoam said...

VERY nice! Love how it all turned out. It's so pretty and inviting.

Whitney @ Drab to Fab Design said...

I like your front porch area! I love the chair fabric, so cheery!

Cre8ive Motives said...

What a beautiful front porch..looks so inviting!

Eclectically Vintage said...

Yippie - freebies and they look amazing! So glad that I had some small part in motivating you to make your porch look so fabulous!

Now get back inside - quickly!
Kelly

Kelly @ View Along the Way said...

Beautiful! I don't like to work outside either, as evidenced by the weeds which have literally taken over.

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

So happy to provide some inspiration and love the inside to outside chair project ...

And now you have a place to sit (shade ... almost inside ... as close as you can get without being inside) to watch the kids as they play outside!
:)

Linda

thistlewoodfarm said...

Tisha,

I wanted to tell you how much I loved this....and that Rhoda is having a porch party today and you should link this up :)

Thanks for all the inspiration today!

blessings,
karianne