Wednesday, April 4, 2012

I built a bench!




I've been redecorating our Family Room & Kitchen, and most of the projects were finished before Christmas.  Except that Santa did not bring the butterscotch print settee that I had been hoping for...  
I'm fairly handy with tools, but I'm a little bit fast and a lotta bit sloppy.  I had wondered if I could build something similar myself and hide all my mistakes with upholstery and cushions.  Maybe.  But then reason got the better of it, and I decided that this would probably be impossible to keep clean what with three kids sitting on it for several meals a day.  So here's what I came up with...

Ana White's plans for Mimi's Storage Bench

Okay, who's laughing?  You all know that I am fairly loose with a recipe and have a really hard time following instructions (most the time I don't even read them).  So of course I didn't plan to build the bench exactly...I just used these plans generally and made a few modifications of my own.

Why didn't I get my handy husband to build the bench, you wonder?  (A) He's an engineer, which makes for a sturdy (and very square) piece of furniture, but he's not very quick on the draw.  I wanted this room finished up ASAP and getting him involved would probably slow things down a bit.  (B)  I'm a spender and he's a saver.  I was a bit scared he'd wonder why we needed a new bench and put on the budget brakes, and I desperately wanted to be rid of those Windsor chairs.  So in honest reflection, I guess I was kind of angling for forgiveness instead of permission.  

But I had a little cash stashed away, so I made my materials list and trotted off to Home Depot with all six of the kids one Saturday while Charles was at work.  Roger, the superhero in an orange apron, helped me pull all my materials and cut everything to size.  The project total was around $65, which did not include paint since I had that already.  By the time Charles got home, I was well underway and had only drilled one hole in our wood floor (oops!).


The bench has a hinged top, so I can store seldom-used appliances, baskets, serving pieces, and holiday items inside (and there's still room for more!).  And it's wide and sturdy - perfect for our kids to climb around on.  I am in LOVE (with Charles of course, who gives the project a big thumbs up)!


{Modifications to Ana's plan include making the bench deeper to 20"; using 2"x2"s inside each corner for securing the pieces together; and using a 2'x4' white melamine piece for the top.}

{Sources}
Pillow fabrics from Premier Fabrics (Small Dandelion & Zig Zag in Corn Yellow/Slub) & painted monogram pillow;
Chairs - paint is DecoArt Robin's Egg Blue acrylic, seat fabric Richloom Marvelous Zebra from JoAnn;
Boraam Farmhouse wood dining bench from Amazon with restained top.
And yep, that's the same table from the BEFORE photo!

Here's a sneak peak at the final Family Room project, my armoire redo with homemade chalk paint...


{Linking up to a few of my favorite parties:}

33 comments:

Anne said...

Awesome!! I'm so happy whenever I see a fellow blogger building furniture :)

Great job!

Bliss said...

I could pick up the power tools, but I'm always afraid I'll measure wrong.

~Bliss~

Danni Baird @ Silo Hill Farm said...

How wonderful! I'm hoping to build something one of these days!

Sherry said...

Great job! MY hero!

Whitney @ Drab to Fab Design said...

I'm new to your blog (came over from Thistlewood Farm!) but you've got yourself a new follower! :) I love your style and the whole transformation you've done in this area!

Gina said...

Oh my goodness, you did an amazing job! I envy your skills with power tools!

becky@cup.of.joe said...

Just when I think you can do everything...I find that I am right ;) Amazing Tisha! (P.S. I laughed out loud at the "a lotta bit messy" part!) So cute!

Tamsyn said...

Wow, you did such a great job of this. I love it!!

jeanetteann said...

Well done,its lovely x

Tisha said...

Don't give me too much credit...I just used a power drill, my power sander, and a hand miter saw! Having all the lumber cut at Home Depot makes this a doable project for any DIYer!

Amy@BuffaloRoam said...

Very, very nice. Well done!

Stacey said...

I love it especially with those fun pillows! Did you make those, too? Love it!
I would love if you stopped by my Creative Inspirations Party to link up!
I would love to have you there!
The party is happening now!
Stacey of Embracing Change
http://staceyembracingchange.blogspot.com

Alida - Radcrafter said...

Love it! Your room transformation looks amazing.

I'd love if you would share this on Thingamajig Thursday going on now... http://radcrafter.com/2012/04/thingamajig-thursday-20/

Alida

Mindie Hilton said...

Beautiful!

Rita@thissortaoldlife said...

The bench is lovely and impressive, but I think the thing that really blew me away is the idea of taking 6 kids to Home Depot, and on a Saturday to boot!

Carrie said...

Great transformation of the table/chairs. The colors and bright and fun.

Kelly @ Eclectically Vintage said...

You go girl - 6 kids underfoot and you can still wield a mean power tool (and only one hole in the floor too)!

Love the bench - it looks like a built in and it really adds so much pizazz - love mismatched pieces!
Kelly

Angela @ The Not So Functional Housewife said...

Your bench turned out great and I love, love, love the colors in your dining room!

Angela - Postcards from the Ridge said...

Impressive job on that bench! I love the pop of yellow and turquoise that you used. And making it a storage bench is genius. Kudos!
Angie

Danielle Zigmont said...

You did a fantastic job, beautiful! I love Ana's site...we've built so many projects from there with a massive list left, lol! Happy to have found your project & your blog. :-)

Danielle
www.organizationalhysteria.com

Jennifer said...

Impressive! Love it! Pinned it!

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

You go Tisha! I do heart a girl who can work power tools and make big woody things. ;) Love the bench...and the colors you're working with. Hopefully you all are enjoying your holiday weekend. :)
Karah

Emily said...

Impressive! It looks great. And I love the chevron pillow against the monogrammed one in tuquroise. so much fun!

Jessica @ Stay at Home-ista said...

Pinned it! I love the white, blue and yellow, your family room/breakfast area is so cheery. I'm so proud to be featured with you on TT&J today.

Happy Easter.
Jessica
stayathomeista.com

Emily Morgenstern said...

I've been wanting to do this for FOREVER!!! I'm completely intimidated to try, but now I'm feeling a renewed confidence. Thanks for the inspiration!! LOVE the way it turned out!

Pinning!!

Amy said...

This looks fanTAStic! Way to go! I'm scared of power tools, but you rocked it! Thanks for linking at Shine on Fridays!!

Amy said...

Featuring you tomorrow at One Artsy Mama!

Danielle said...

This is such an amazing project. I love it and seriously want one of mine own now:> I would love for you to link this up to Blissful and Domestic's Feature Friday Link Party.

Danielle
www.blissfulanddomestic.com

Amanda Jones said...

I love your darling bench and fun pillows! I am featuring it today at my fabulous friday post!!

Thanks!
Amanda
everycreativeendeavor.com

Shannah @ Just Us Four said...

This is a really great project! The bench turned out so well and I love the fun pillows. I would love it if you would come link this up at my Pinworthy Projects Link Party.

Maureen Hayes said...

I love it an am so impressed that you built it yourself. If I tried that, it would inevitably end with a trip to the ER - LOL! I found you through Every Creative Endeavor and I am so glad to have come. I will be following you from now on.

Tara T. McIlrath said...

Look at all of these comments!!!!!!!! Dang GIRL! Ok, I laughed out loud at the part where you said you were pretty much going to ask for forgiveness rather than permission. I am so the same way. Sigh, my husband, too is mister exact and mister slow. I, too am the spender while he is more likely to say "um, let's wait a while and save up"

Super cool...I cant believe I was in your house just a few weeks ago and didn't comment on your bench. Oh well, so much home improving goes on, I cant keep up! I do love the part about taking all 6 kids to the HD! Awesome.

Lisa Montsion said...

Great job.

lisa