Monday, April 16, 2012

dining room updates


Well, I'm late to the party again!  (That seems to be my M.O. since Baby arrived.)  Last month, I really wanted to have my kitchen to-do list finished in time for Thrifty Decor Chick's "Show Us Your Kitchens" party.  Alas, I was not ready and skipped the party all together.  This month, I planned to be prepared with my dining room updates, but today when it was time to post at her dining rooms party, I was in my KITCHEN putting on new cabinet hardware.

So, I'm just showing you my dining room as is.  And I'll tell you about my ideas.  And if you have any, you can share those too.  Also, if you'd like to come over and actually help me complete a project (maybe even in a timely fashion), you are welcome anytime.

So here goes...


Our decorating budget is zero dollars, which means two things:  {1} I'm always over budget :) and {2} I have to be resourceful.  Every piece of furniture in our dining room is a hand-me down.  Here's what I've done with it so far...




First I painted the table top and chair backs & arms with a black outdoor oil-based paint.  Then I added the slipcovers, burlap curtains, chair silhouette art, and cloth napkins.  The chair numbers are pretty new - I did those on a whim one day when I should have been cleaning!

The high back oak chairs got pulled in here a couple of weeks ago after I completed the bench at our kitchen table, and I'd like to paint them, maybe each in a different color.  There are four chairs, so I'm thinking pink, green, yellow, and orange.  We'll see.  Also, I check Craigslist periodically for a new light fixture.  And that's about it.  

{Linking up:}

Thrifty Decor Chick

{Okay, Sarah says May is kid's rooms & nurseries.  Nevermind that our baby is already 5 months old, and the fabric for her crib bedding is in a pile on my sewing table.  Or that I've been working on my older daughter's new room since October.  I can do this!  Are any of you coming over?}

12 comments:

Laura from Top This Top That said...

I will be there in 15 mins! Love the numbers on your chairs.

jeanetteann said...

all looks great. Quirky idea for the chairs. Does everyone have their own number? :)
xx

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Love, love, love the numbers on the chairs. Very classy! : )
M.L.

Amy@BuffaloRoam said...

Love, love, LURVE the numbered chairs!

Just Simply Live said...

Love those chairs. Great job.

Sonya said...

It's looking great. I love those numbered chairs, how cute is that. The striped curtains are a nice touch also. Great job!

Whitney @ Drab to Fab Design said...

I love those cute numbered chairs! And how you tied the ribbon around the legs is adorable!

Something Nice and Pretty said...

I love your diningroom! Such a neat looking one, the chairs are fantastic with the numbers and I love the table top painted black! You did a wonderful job!

Kirby Dunton Carespodi said...

Great job! I wish I'd thought of numbered chairs when my kids were little--it would have saved a lot of smack-talk.

Jessica @ Stay at Home-ista said...

It's the numbers on the chairs that get me. Do your kids have assigned seats based on where they fall in family/sibling order? That would solve lot sof dinner-time squabbles at our house:)

Eclectically Vintage said...

Love the numbered chairs - and think 4 different colors would look amazing!!
Curtains are amazing too - fabulous job with hand me downs - would never have guessed!
Kelly

Danielle Wagasky said...

I featured you today on Blissful and Domestic. Stop by and grab a button

Danielle @ Blissful and Domestic
www.blissfulanddomestic.com