Wednesday, April 25, 2012

bye, bye bronze {& making practical pretty ~ kitchen edition}


I've sold some stuff on eBay the last few weeks, so I was able to order the new satin nickel hardware I've been wanting for our kitchen.  Yea!  

The cabinets originally had bronze hinges, so when we bought the house, I decided just to order knobs and pulls to match instead of redoing all the hinges.  I loved the bronze, and it was fine with the old off-white appliances.  But when we bought the stainless appliances, this stuff had to go...


{Okay, they are really more copperish, but that would not have made as catchy of a title.}

While I was installing the new hardware, I did some paint touchup and added a sealant on a few of the cabinets and drawers that were getting chipped from heavy use.  Of course, when I help a client paint her kitchen I seal the paint, but when when we're talking about my own house, who has time for that extra step?

And I thought I'd show you a few places I hide really practical things on my counter tops.










{1} My monogrammed beverage tub is a great place to stash my purse.
{2} These stenciled canisters are full of our daily vitamins.  The little dish beside the sink holds my rings, watch, and bracelets while I'm cleaning.
{3} The big blue woven bin (from Target) is perfect for stuff we use several times a day like baby formula & cereal, and it holds other things that I wouldn't use if I had to get them out of a cabinet, like my food scale and fiber powder.  (How lazy is that?)  There is also room for Tylenol and allergy meds.
{4} A couple of baskets in our glasses cabinet hide ugly little parts like sippy cups and baby bottles.


I am really loving our kitchen right now and am almost done with my checklist.  I can't wait to finish the last few items.  I'm really committed to actually FINISHING a room this time before I move on to something else!  Almost there...

{Linking up...}

12 comments:

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Your kitchen is so nice with the nickle pulls and knobs and I love the open shelves!

Anne said...

Nice job, it looks so fresh & pretty!

Robin @ Happily Home, After said...

I love a satin nickel finish in kitchens and the new pulls look great. Also really appreciate you pointing out the "hiding" places in plain sight; nice kitchen organization tips. Really, very very few kitchens have a space for everything to be tucked away so sharing those kinds of tips is so helpful. Had to chuckle about your statement of finishing the kitchen before starting another room ... I have the same, we'll call it "challenge", even wrote a post called "start finishing and stop starting" to try and shame myself publicly about it to change my behavior! Oh well ....

Robin @ happilyhomeafter.blogspot.com

Sherry said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your kitchen!
The End! :)

Whitney @ Drab to Fab Design said...

Your kitchen is so pretty! It's soft and airy and warm at the same time :)

Amy@BuffaloRoam said...

Love your kitchen! Especially digging the curtain. And I think we ordered the exact same hardware as you, except ours is brushed bronze, or whatever it's called. Not copper like you had before - which I really liked, actually. But I agree that these are better with your appliances.

Eclectically Vintage said...

The new hardware looks fabulous! The open shelving is perfect with all that great glassware.
Pops of blue -love!
Kelly

Jessica @ Stay at Home-ista said...

ha! I love that you put your purse in a monogrammed tub on the counter! I've been trying SO hard to not put my ourse on the counter. So it winds up on the end table in the living room, under the dining room table, on my dresser, anywhere that is not the hooks in my coat closet where it is supposed to go:)

DM said...

Your kitchen looks ridiculously similar to mine. White cabinets, same silver pulls, placement of sink and silver (or whatever it's called) dishwasher, glass front cabinets banking a window. It's a little scary. Only differences are the sink itself (mine is white), fridge placement, and beadboard (mine is on cabinets - shaker style and my backsplash is just painted...one day, it will have subway tile) - oh, and the fact that your kitchen is nice and cleaned up. Maybe I should clean mine too and buy some nice bins to store stuff.

Kelly @ View Along the Way said...

The hardware looks great! I love your great ideas for practical countertop storage too!

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

Just love how the kitchen looks ... and love those pretty hiding places too!

:)

Linda

Bliss said...

Finish a room AND be done with a checklist? I'm jealous. So jealous.

~Bliss~