Thursday, March 1, 2012

when I grow up {+ home office inspiration}

I've been inspired this week by a new group of bloggy friends to think about my blog and what I want her to be when she grows up.  This challenge comes at a particularly good time for me, because I've been at a bit of a crossroads lately.  Part of the rub is that I don't quite know what I want to be when I grow up.

Photo from Better Homes & Gardens
My formal studies were in advertising/marketing, but I have always enjoyed sewing and decorating for my own home, as well as for friends and family.  Soon friends of friends starting calling, then friends of friends of friends...which turned into a steady business that has kept me busy for the last twelve years.

Photo from Better Homes & Gardens
Sometimes I think I might like to add  workroom staff and expand my client base.  Then I entertain quitting home decor to start sewing baby clothes to sell in local boutiques.  The next month I want to give up sewing all together and just do design boards and decorating work.  Other times I dream of going back into advertising, if only to do our school's newsletter and press releases.  Finally, I complete the circle by spending an entire day in my PJs, reading books to the kids...

Photo from Martha Stewart
As you can imagine, this schizophrenia is quite paralyzing.  So, I'm going to lay aside the "what ifs" (like what if I got a fancy new camera and took a bunch of photography classes...) and think about my blog in terms of who I am today.  Here's where I'm headed:

Photo from Better Homes & Gardens
{1 - Finish what I started}
When I began this blog six months ago, my primary purpose was to create a marketing tool for my local decorating and sewing business, with the possibility of expanding some of my services to online clients.  I still haven't started developing those pages, although I do have piles of scribbled notes in my inbox and on my craft table.  I want to create portfolio and pricing pages for both my sewing and decorating work, as well as explore the idea of opening an etsy shop for stock and custom items.

Photo from Traditional Home
{2 - Blog less, be more}
When I began blogging, I was pregnant and experiencing serious insomnia.  I usually worked on the blog in the wee hours of the morning, when the rest of the house was sleeping soundly, but I could not.  Now, I have a three-month-old, and life is in full swing around me.  While I LOVE blogging, I find that my desire to successfully manage my blog is cutting into my time on client projects, personal decorating and crafts, home management, and time with my children (particularly my toddler).  I need to get my blog life organized and streamlined, so that I am more efficient and spend less time on the computer.

Photo from Better Homes & Gardens
{3 - Inspire and be inspired}
I like to read, and I like to write.  I like to create, and I like to get ideas from others' creations.  And while the marketing voice in me is crying out for growth and stats, I'm going to have to take a step back. It's time to get a little more organic about relationships - pick a handful that I can really maintain, where there is mutual growth and inspiration, and quit running around here and there and everywhere, pinning all the way.  Have I enjoyed having over 11,000 page views this month?  You betcha!!  Will I lose a few readers?  Maybe (I hope not...please don't go...).  However, I believe that if I can get my priorities in the right balance, my work won't suffer but instead will prosper in its own way.  I'd love to have you along for the journey...
{Linking up}

What visions do you have for your blog?  
Click on the button above and share your post at the party too!

20 comments:

Bliss said...

Your whole post is a page from my book/life, especially the schizophrenia part. I get so many ideas about so many things that I don't accomplish a one of them. How to focus a creative mind?

~Bliss~

Jessica @ Stay at Home-ista said...

Tisha, I love your goals. I also have a three month old and two older kids, it can be quite a big to manage. I agree with you, if you focus on what is important everything will fall into place.

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

Tisha,

I certainly need to thing about goal #2. I do find this blogging this very all-consuming. But then again, my kids are older and self-sufficient and have interests of their own now ...

:)

Linda

Elena said...

I do believe we have both the same form of schizophrenia.
Great post! I'm looking forward to browsing through your blog.

~Elena
http://acasarella.blogspot.com/

Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants said...

My goodness I love when someone says so eloquently what I think!You are not alone sister, I need to figure out what it is I want to do when I grow up. I am reading a book and it just said "what is the one thing that when you do it you loose all track of time" that is what you should be doing! Got me to thinking! Thanks for sharing!!!

Inspire Me Heather said...

I have a blog review hop going on at my blog, if you'd like to join! You go and review 2 blogs anonymously and then 2 bloggers anonymously review your blog. It will give you some ideas as far as your blog layout and functionality, etc. Come on over!

luci wallis said...

You took the words right out of my mouth~ Enjoyed visiting
Bristol

Linens and Laurel said...

I definitely want one of those spaces in MY space. You have inspired me, which is one of my goals. Visit...be inspired.

Amy@BuffaloRoam said...

I think those are really great goals! My formal studies are in Human Services and Social Work... but ended up in marketing! Funny where life takes us sometimes.

Trish said...

Enjoyed your honesty and post! Follow your heart:)

Robin @ Happily Home, After said...

Tisha,

Our blogs are about the same age and we {the humans that is} both seem to be working on the question of what's next for us personally {I phrase that as "what will my Act II be?"} And my mantra these days is "stop starting and start finishing" which I think is something you're also wrestling with. I'm your newest follower so I can see how it unfolds for you and maybe borrow a thought or two! Visiting from the "when I grow up" hop and have also posted to that party.

Robin
happilyhomeafter.blogspot.com

Eclectically Vintage said...

So glad you joined our party! I hear you on #2 - this blog time management does take skill. So hard to juggle this and a thing I try to call a life! Focus on what you love and success will surely follow! I'm rooting for you!
Kelly

Sherry said...

I'm a follower and I like to join your link parties (when I have anything to share!) but I really enjoyed reading this post and getting to know YOU better. I hope you find the time to create your new pages and grow an online portion to your business. I don't know how you maintain with an infant...I think you are amazing!

Dayle Allen Shockley said...

Great post. Just stopped by from the "what I want my blog to be" party, although I am not participating (at least not yet anyway ... too busy). I'm sure you will figure out the details. The way I see it, a blog should not take over one's life, nor crowd out the important things in life. It should, above all else, be fun.

plaits and paisley said...

I have found blogging very addictive but it is important to maintain balance, especially with a young family. I'm past all that, but still think I spend bit much time attached to the computer!
Penny x

Debbie V said...

hey great blog how much do you charge to travel and organize?--lol your newest fan from the blog hop

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

i read your goals but i got totally distracted by all the beautiful rooms! :) looking forward to where your blog goes, and also to seeing your office!

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

Wonderful goals, Tisha! Finding the balance is a tough one -- but your readers will understand; I just tell myself that they all have lives, too, lol!
Glad to have found your space and I look forward to following along!
Blessings,
Heidi

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

Thank you so much for sharing these thoughts Tisha. I feel like we are in a very similar spot when it relates to blogging. Needing to find balance, create when I'm inspired to create even if I "should" be blogging.

Just last week I made the decision to do exactly what I WANT to do as it relates to the blog, because it is purely a hobby for me and there's no point in it if I don't love it!

So glad we've found each other in this blog world. :)
Karah

staci said...

Right along with ya!!!!