Monday, March 5, 2012

toy chest

I got to help out with a fund raising project for my children's school recently.  Each class is responsible for creating a project to sell at our annual auction, and the room mom for my Second Grader's class suggested making a furniture piece.  We tossed around several different options and came up with this...

The class is studying ocean life in science this year, so we decided to have each student draw a picture of a sea creature.  To help them with their drawings, we gave each child a coloring page to look at.  Then they drew these amazing pictures!


A family in the class donated the beautiful Lane cedar chest.  It started like this:


I took off the old hardware and enlisted a little help from the hubby to add some solid pieces to the insets on the "doors" so we could mount pictures there and to cut a new shape along the bottom apron.  I used some wood filler to fill in the floral design that remained along the bottom edge.  Then after a good sanding to smooth out all the filler and get a sticky mess off the top, it was ready for paint.

I gave it two coats of Behr Ultra paint + primer in 550D-5 Ocean Cruise.  Then I did a little distressing at the corners, since it is a toy box, and I wanted any wear and tear it gets in its new home to look like a natural part of the piece.  Next, I used a small art brush to dry brush a thin coat of black stain in the crevices and corners and around the edges.  Now to wait for it all to dry...

Yea!  Mod Podge time!  I decoupaged the pictures all over the box and added a vinyl Bible verse to the top (graciously donated by Fishtail Designs, since I don't have a Silhouette...yet).  Finally, a couple of coats of satin latex polyurethane, and it was ready to go!



It's going up for auction Friday night - I'm anxious to see how much money it will raise for the school!  What would you bid?

{Linking up with a few of my favorite parties:}

9 comments:

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

What a great piece, Tish! Some lucky family will be enjoying this for years to come. :) The kids' artwork is the perfect touch. Kudos!

The Rooster and The Hen said...

That an ingenious display piece! Good luck on the auction!

lauren @ West Furniture Revival said...

chest is very cute. great idea and i love that you incorporated the kid's art.
Lauren

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

so fun! i love that the kids were involved with it. that makes it extra special!

luci wallis said...

Awesome project!!! love the blue
Bristol

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

How cute is that! Hope you are having a great week!...hugs...Debbie

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

What a perfect school fundraiser auction piece! Job well done. I'm sure it'll get top dollar ...

:)

Linda

thistlewoodfarm said...

Tisha,

When this came across my e-mail I LOVED it! I had to stop by and tell you that this toybox is so adorable! Love the Bible verse.

Thanks for the inspiration.

blessings,
karianne

Tisha said...

I've just come back from the auction, where this chest sold for $375! Woohoo!