Wednesday, March 28, 2012

scripture verse subway art

Recently I made some subway art with Scripture verses corresponding to each of our daughters' middle names: Promise, Faith, and Prosper.  Today I'll tell you how I did it, and share a free printable with you so you can make one of your own!


As I've complained before, I am the last home blogger on earth who still does not have a vinyl cutter, and I'm not one of those amazing ladies who hand stencils and paints cool signs.  So this is going to be the quick, easy, and relatively cheap cheater's version of subway art.

{materials:}
subway art printout (create your own or use my free printable below)
Mod Podge & brush
canvas or wood for mounting


First, I created my signs in Microsoft Publisher.  Then I determined the size for my printouts and emailed them to our local FedEx Kinko's store and had them printed in b&w on regular paper.  Since I was going to be mounting them on 18x24" canvases, I had them printed at 22x28" so I could wrap a little over each side.  Each sign was about $5.

I chose to mount my signs on canvas because I thought wood or MDF in this size would be way too heavy.  However, with the canvas it is difficult to get the paper quite as smooth, so my signs have a few waves and wrinkles.  The canvas texture is also completely covered making wood a fine option if you so choose.

I laid my printout face down and marked where my canvas would go on the back so I could get it lined up straight when sticking them together.  I also cut a 2" square out of each corner so I could wrap the edges.  Then it was Mod Podge time!!!  If you have never used Mod Podge, I recommend spending some time over at Mod Podge Rocks to learn all about it (be sure to watch the videos).  Per Amy's instructions, I brushed Mod Podge all over my canvas, lightly sprayed a sign with some water, and carefully applied the sign to the canvas.  To bray, I laid the canvas face up with a large book underneath in the recess and did that area, then moved the book around a bit till I had it all relatively smooth.

When it was dry, I used a paint roller to apply a couple of thin coats of Mod Podge to the whole surface for a glossy textured look.  After the top coats were good and dry, I took a piece of chalk and made some light lines and smudges as a final touch (these don't really show up in the photos).

They look pretty cool up close.  I even had one visitor ask if they were granite (now that would be heavy).



If you'd like to make one for yourself, you can grab this free printable:  Psalm 1 Subway Art printable.  After choosing the link, I had trouble viewing the document.  But once you're in Google Docs, move your pointer over the file name and click on the little arrow all the way to the right.  Choose "Download" and you should be good to go!

{Linking up with a few of my favorite parties:}
InLinkz.com

28 comments:

Anne said...

Cute idea!

Melissa said...

Those look awesome! I have a silhouette and let me just say, it's still not easy to make a good sign! I love yours!

Kelly @ Eclectically Vintage said...

No, I'm the last blogger without a cutter! But you managed to do an amazing job without one - gives me hope!

So glad you joined our Cinch party!
Kelly

becky@cup.of.joe said...

I am totally sharing this on Facebook. LOVE these. xoxo

Jessica @ Stay at Home-ista said...

I love how you used your daughters' middle names as inspiration. I also don't have a cutter, but I'm fantasizing about printing out signs really large for our dining room.

Jessica
stayathomeista.com

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

Oh I too wish I had a fancy vinyl cutter ... but you did an amazing job without one! Just love it and I'm sure your daughters will treasure these for the rest of their lives!

So happy that you linked it up to the cinchy party!

:)

Linda

Ruth said...

I do not have a vinyl cutter either. They are awesome but way out of my budget. I love this subway art. A lovely reminder with your daughter's names incorporated into it.
Ruth

Because (I think) I Can said...

very nice, I love these! I don't have a cutter either! I love how you did it though, exactly like how I made my children's valentine's gifts!
http://www.becauseithinkican.com/2012/02/09/valentines-gifts-for-the-kids/

Leanne

blesid said...

I absolutely love this. I love the fact that your daughters have such amazing middle names. I love the fact you did this subway art to celebrate them! Would it make you feel better, or worse to hear that I have a vinyl cutter and never use it? I had all these visions of the great things I could create... Your way seems so much easier. Or perhaps you just made it look easy!? Anyhoo, GREAT JOB!!! jules

Amy said...

Gosh, I can't even tell you how much I love these {and those names!}. Gorgeous. And I'm with ya, sister, no vinyl cutting fancy machine here either. Although I really really really want one when I win the lottery. ;) I would be thrilled if you'd share this here at my party:

http://oneartmama.blogspot.com/2012/03/shine-on-fridays-21-plus-features-and.html

Amanda Kristeen said...

These are lovely! And I fell like it's so important to have scriptures around the house!

Sarah said...

What a wonderful idea! They look AMAZING and are beautiful reminders of God's love and faithfulness. Visiting from It's Overflowing!

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

Tisha! This is awesome...and you and I are the two last bloggers without a vinyl cutter. We should totally have a stencil party. :) I'm sharing this on my facebook page. :) Hope you have a great week.
Karah

cathy said...

thank you for the printable!!! it's beautiful and i love to have scripture in my home.

Rebekah @Accidentally Wonderful said...

This is perfect! I have been loving all the subway art floating around Pinterest, but I love the idea of using Scripture! Pinned this on my page!
pinterest.com/bekapoe

Jen C. said...

Way cool to do that for each name! Really, really nicely done! Thanks for sharing.

Vanessa Barker said...

SO SO SO SO cute!!
I'd love if you could come link up at my first ever Tutorial Tuesday at Our Thrifty Ideas http://www.ourthriftyideas.com/2012/04/tutorial-tuesday-1.html

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

Those look great. I love the stark white/black contrast!

Terrie Mathison said...

I love these! thanks for sharing. I am bookmarking for later use!!

Emily @ 52 Mantels said...

Love this! I'm featuring today!

Anu@My Dream Canvas said...

Lovely idea! I would love for you to stop by My Dream Canvas.

Holly said...

You did a great job! You aren't alone- I blog without a special machine too and would just love to have one! I love your solution of using a printer and then putting it on canvas. Great idea. Found you through 52 mantels. Thanks for sharing!
from Holly @ www.abakershouse.com

Erin @ Chronic Christian Crafter said...

I LOVE THIS!!! As a co-host of Ginger's party of Ginger Snap Crafts, I am doing a feature post of my favorites from her party...I'm featuring this. Love it all! I'm also a new follower!

Ginger said...

I'll be featuring YOU tonight at {wow me} wednesday! You were one of the top ten most viewed links from last week's party! Wahoo! :) Thank you so much for sharing.

Ginger @ gingersnapcrafts.com

Kendra said...

This looks so good!!

Kate said...

Thanks for the great ideas. I'm in Ireland and trying to make something for my husband's birthday. Can I ask what font you used?

Tisha said...

Sure, Kate. It's Abadi MT Condensed Extra Bold.

Kate said...

Thanks so much - what a fast response!