Thursday, March 29, 2012

more spring mantels

I changed my mantel up a bit this week (again!) for my mother-in-law's 80th birthday celebration.


For the large frame, I made a sign with a pink backdrop, selected verses from Proverbs 31 (you could use a favorite quote or poem too), and the birthday girl's name.  I designed mine in Publisher, then had it printed at my local FedEx Kinko's store.


The numbers were cut out of MDF and mod podged with scrapbooking paper.  I used thin strips of paper around the edges of the numbers for a boxed effect.  

The banner features various sepia-toned photographs of Carolyn at different ages and stages, interspersed with pictures of places she might remember.  I used Google images to find photos from the right time period (i.e., Boston 1940's or College of William & Mary 1950).  I printed about 40 photographs and strung similar banners all over the house.

My sister-in-law made this AWESOME Samoa Bundt Cake and great time was had by all!



But wait, there's more!  Here are some of the great displays that were linked up to my Spring Mantel Party...

Spring table vignette at JBigg's Little Pieces:


Yellow accents at Joyful Java:


Birthday birdie at 52 Mantels:


And Tulips & bulbs at I'm Sharon with You:


Be sure to link up your spring mantel before the party closes Friday night!


6 comments:

Holly @ Life as a Thrifter said...

LOVE that picture bunting! Pinned it!

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

Love your details!! Pinning this one -- Happy Thursday and headed to link up at your craft party!
xo Heidi

thistlewoodfarm said...

Love the idea of the sepia photographs on the banner! Absolutely adorable. I love Emily's Mantle, also. That bird is so cute!

blessings,
karianne

Bliss said...

I gotta tell you.... if I'm invited to my daughter in laws home for some birthday cake, at any age, and she has a display like that for me I'd be so touched and cry. You did good.

~Bliss~

Jessica @ Stay at Home-ista said...

I love the mantle, you are so sweet to make it.

Jessica
stayathomeista.com

Town and Country Gals said...

Your banner is adorable, one of the best I've seen, love it! Also like your pink numbers. The mantle looks wonderful! I bet she was one happy lady! Just joined your spring mantle party!
Rebecca