Tuesday, February 7, 2012

paint it black

I know I'm one of the last decorators in blogland to paint my door black.  (Is it even still the thing to do?)  But I have been wanting to paint it for several years now.  You know how sometimes you have an idea, but you just never seem to get around to it?  Then one day, when dinner is half under way, and your kids are working on their stuff for the science fair, and you have five sewing or decorating or crafting projects spread out around the room, you just suddenly snap and go to town on that long-forgotten task?  Well, now you know how my family spent last Thursday afternoon.  And I'm so pleased with the results!  Here is the BEFORE & AFTER:
 My favorite change is the door knob:


And here's a little trick on how I painted it:


Yep, I made a mini-spray painting booth.  I cut a big rectangle out of the bottom of a large paper bag and used one piece of tape on the outside top to secure it to the door, then taped off the hardware with painter's tape inside.  Now you're ready to paint away!  Be careful not to get your face down right in front of the bag while you are painting - the fumes roll out into a heavy concentration there.

And here's the whole door again:


Next up, change out the cabinet hardware, and my kitchen punch list will be nearly finished!

Update on 2/16/12 - One reader asked for more details...
I would have done this differently if I had planned a little more in advance, but since it was a spur-of-the-moment project, I just used what I had on hand.  The black paint is actually a really dark gray:  Behr "Stealth jet" (flat).  I would rather use a satin or semi-gloss on a door, but this gray was left over from painting my gradient dresser and beds.  So, to give it a little shine and protection, after brushing on two coats of the paint, I brushed over the whole thing with a coat of Minwax Latex Polyurethane in a satin finish.  The door knob spray paint was a Krylon metallic silver - I can't remember if it were the brushed silver or just the regular, but I'm sure it's whatever is cheaper.  And that's it!

5 comments:

Whitney Cernik said...

I love the black door! When we built our home, I picked Urban Bronze by Sherwin Williams for our front door (exterior). I debated about the interior...chickened out a little and went with the trim color, but I have been contemplating making the switch!

Toodie said...

Really looks great! And that homemade paint booth is genius!

Anonymous said...

Can you please tell me how you painted the door? What you used? I've been putting it off for 5 1/2 years!!! Thanks.

Tisha said...

Sure, I'll add an update to the bottom of the post. Thanks for asking!

michael said...

what a great blog ..............!
thanks a lot
Painting Company