Tuesday, February 21, 2012

nobody's perfect

When you look at home pictures in magazines, blogs, or Pinterest, everything always seems so perfect.  The rooms are neat and clean, and everything is nicely done and in its place.  And when you visit your friends, don't their homes always seem prettier, or cleaner, or fill in the blank better than yours?  Part of that is because we are often a discontent people, but there is a also real element to it - it's called styling.

Photo from Better Homes & Gardens
Recently, a friend was visiting and said to me, "Your house always looks so nice!  It's never a wreck like mine."  My response, "But I always know when you're coming.  Drop by unannounced sometime and see how it is."  I don't know about you, but my house is not a museum.  I live here.  And more than that, so do six rowdy kids.  Today we even have two extras over to play.  So, more often than not, my home looks like this:


When friends are coming, we run around like crazy people, making beds, stuffing laundry into closets, and hiding junk in cabinets and drawers.  (One of my secrets is laundry baskets - just sweep everything into a laundry basket and hide it in a closet or in the garage.)  I straighten the slipcovers and fluff the pillows and threaten anyone who sits on the sofas before the guests arrive.  And when the doorbell rings, we all take a deep breath and smile...such pretenders.

Sometimes late at night after everyone has gone to bed, I walk around and pick up the miscellaneous toys, books, and shoes that are scattered about.  I work some magic again on the slipcovers and pillows.  I clean up my work counter that has gotten piled up throughout the day.  And then I sit, right in the middle of it, where I can take it all in.  I do love a styled home, don't you?

{Linking up with The Nester}

8 comments:

Jen said...

Hahaha.. I was just thinking about doing a post about the same thing! That is pretty much my house more often than not too!! Thanks for sharing!

molly @thewaffler said...

It's nice to know other people run around cleaning before guests come. I usually take everything downstairs and hope we don't end up in the basement! This is a great blog, I'm excited to come back!

Sherry said...

ABSOLUTELY!! You said it all so well! I too dream of my home looking oh so pretty with everything in place all the time. But, it is not my reality. I have two kids, a husband, a dog and a 10 hour stretch with 6 preschoolers every day. I'm content that it cleans up nicely when I have the time!!! Thanks for sharing. I always feel so much better knowing that others' homes get messed up too!
Sherry

Just Simply Live said...

Thanks for sharing an honest post :)

Cameron Meerdink said...

So refreshing to see the chaos behind the beauty ;) I don't pick up every night, but when I do it is so nice to sit and enjoy it . . . if only for an hour or two...

becky@cup.of.joe said...

I think you staged the chaos ;) I've dropped by unannounced. Even your mess is still gracefull. Love. xoxo

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

Hahaha, I love it...the real life pics are the best. Happy to be celebrating the imperfect with you. :)
Karah

somewhat quirky said...

I do that laundry basket thing too! Then sometimes weeks later I get to have a treasure hunt in the basement where we put (all of) the full baskets. At least you have children at home. I manage to do this pretty much all by myself.