Thursday, February 2, 2012

i heart groundhog day!


Source

Today is one of my favorite holidays of the year!  Unfortunately, I think it's a bit like Thanksgiving.  With all the commercial hype surrounding Valentine's Day (like Christmas), Groundhog Day sort of gets passed over. 



 
Source

I've never been to Punxsutawney.  But I have seen lots of groundhogs.  My dad grew up on a farm, and as a girl visiting my grandparents, we would see plenty of whistle pigs scurrying about the land.  I'm pretty sure that there was more than one February 2nd that we drove over to the farm just to see if any of our groundhogs would see their shadows.  I still spot a few living around our suburban neighborhood these days.  In fact, we had a groundhog in our own backyard just a couple of months ago.  Wonder where he is today?

I guess it's kind of funny that I love this day so much.  It's not that I'm really buying into the whole weather prediction thing, although I think Phil's record is a lot better than that of our local news meteorologists.  It's just that my dad loves Groundhog Day.  And I love my dad.  As a kid, I thought the whole thing was really corny, but now that I'm grown up, I like a lot of the things that used to drive me crazy about my parents.  This gives me hope for my children, because I know I make them pretty crazy.

Shame on me for not coming up with a clever decoration or food craft to celebrate!  I'll scan Pinterest to see if anyone has any fun ideas for this special day.  How about you - got any plans for Groundhog Day?  I'm fixing a fancy dinner, with dessert and everything.  But for now (while I'm remembering all the things that I do now that my dad used to do), I think I'll go sing some Johnny Cash...

1 comment:

becky@cup.of.joe said...

I am rollin' imagining you bebopping around your delectable home singing Cash. xoxo