Friday, February 24, 2012

burlap curtains {tutorial}

I love the wide horizontal stripe trend and wanted to make some custom burlap panels for my living and dining rooms.  I chose burlap because, well, I just love burlap!  The texture is so rich, it comes in great colors, and you can’t beat the price.  I just bought the standard cheap stuff at Joann’s (about $4 per yard, but I used a 40% off coupon too).

After finishing my panels, I decided that THIS burlap is really not the best fabric for draperies – it doesn’t hang very nicely without a little help.  The burlap panels from Ballard Designs & Pottery Barn are more linen-like.  But I’ll tell you my secret below.

February Home 078

My finished panels measure about 45” wide by 91” long.

{materials:}
For one pair of panels, you’ll need:
  • 2.5 yards of cream burlap
  • 3.75 yards of brown burlap
  • 5.5 yards of lightweight drapery lining (I usually buy either econo-lining or rain-no-stain at Joann’s)
  • a spool of quarter-inch grossgrain ribbon
1.  Cut six 14” strips of cream burlap, six 14” strips of brown burlap, and two 21” strips of brown burlap (these are the bottom pieces which will have a large hem).
2.  Beginning with a brown 21” piece, stitch brown and cream alternating pieces using a half-inch seam allowance (three 14” pieces of each color per panel).  Repeat for the other panel.  Trim selvages evenly off sides. 
3.  Cut two pieces of lining about 90” long x 42” wide.
4.  Lay right sides of panel and lining together, matching evenly across top.  (Panel will be a few inches wider than lining.)  Pin down both sides, leaving top and bottom loose.  Stitch each side.
5.  Center lining across width and pin at top.  Stitch top.
6.  Turn right side out and press.  Sides seams should wrap to the back a bit, but top edge will be even.
7.  Turn bottom edge up 4” and press; turn up again 4” and press.  Pin and stitch across hem.
February Home 087
8.  Now you can add pleats or whatever you want across the top or just leave the top plain.  Hang with rings and drapery pins or clips.
9.  Dress your pleats by hand creasing the panels every few inches to make them hang evenly – use some scrap fabric or ribbons to tie in place at each seam.
February Home 088
10.  (**Here’s the secret to keep your burlap panels from going all wonky!**)
Cut 12” strips of grossgrain ribbon to hand-tack to the backs of the panels.  This holds the panel in place so it won’t flare out.  I placed a ribbon on every other seam, beginning with the second seam from the bottom.  You could put a ribbon at every seam if you wanted them to be a little more tailored (and if you aren’t as lazy as I am).  Just space your tacks evenly and be sure to go all the way through the layers.  Now you can untie your scrap pieces and you’re done!
February Home 090   February Home 086


{Linking up with some of my favorite parties:}

13 comments:

Melissa said...

These look awesome! I really love them and I love that they are not as refined as the pottery barn style ones!

Leslie said...

I love these! I just don't think I could do it!
They look great in the rooms!

Cameron Meerdink said...

Oh, you know I love a good burlap project! These turned out so well - and thanks for all the little tips!! I have all my windows curtained, but maybe I need to redo some . . .

Amanda Dale said...

Totally been thinking about doing this in my master bedroom. Yours turned out great! Thanks so much for linking up to Cowgirl Up! Hope to see you again next week!
Thanks,
Amanda
www.theivycottageblog.blogspot.com

Kim said...

These are beautiful and they really finish your room. Great job.

Found you through Shabby Creek Cottage link up.

Dorothy-Life With Boys said...

Love these & definitely want to try to make some myself =)

Meg said...

I'm so loving these! How was the smell?? I love burlap but, the smell! I'm your newest follower and I'd love it if you followed back. I would love it if you linked up to my little party: http://www.nutmegplace.com/2012/03/showoff-saturday-4.html

Hope to see you there!

Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com said...

Great tip! I'm your newest follower! XO, Aimee

Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com said...

PS Featuring you today!

Becca said...

I think your curtains are beyond lovely! The striped burlap is awesome! Great job!!
xo Becca

My best friends blog said...

I love these curtains and I am now your newest follower.

jdustinmoody said...

I LOVE the burlap curtains. I've been wanting to do something like that for a while, with a navy/taupe combination. I'm so glad I found this tutorial!

Sheri Mueller said...

I love these! Did you pre-wash the burlap?