Wednesday, January 25, 2012

valentine's mantel {birds + B's}


Believe it or not, this is the first time I have ever decorated for Valentine's Day, and I'm having so much fun!  My husband and I are both hopeless un-romantics, so we have never made much of Valentine's Day.  But we've realized recently that our children may find spouses who have been raised on a healthy dose of candy and roses, and we need to start teaching them (i.e. SHOWING them) a little cupid kind-a love.  So, I came home from Hobby Lobby this morning with a bag full of red and hearts and worked on the mantel today.

I'm calling my theme "the birds and the B's {for burlap & buttons, of course}"...

I made some mock-chip letters out of cardboard, mod-podged some craft paper to three of them, and covered the heart with hot-glued burlap and buttons.  They are standing upright courtesy of some wooden blocks (hot-glued to the backs).


The art is an old frame with the glass removed, painted red with turquoise and gray accents.  I hot-glued burlap to the cardboard and cut out 12 hearts from various scrapbooking papers.  Next I folded each heart in half to crease it and hot-glued it to the burlap along the fold.  Done!

In this corner, we have the wooden chalkboard blocks I made from some old 4x4s at Christmas.  Nothing fancy (they are actually quite rough) but I LOVE them!  The birds were 40% off at Hobby Lobby - I really like the little ceramic one.  The one on the wooden heart doesn't seem to play as well in the photographs, but he's cute too.  He's holding the key to my heart.  (How's that for some Valentine cheesy? I'm really getting into the spirit now!)




I'm in the mood...so, I'm off to decorate some other spaces, and I bought some stuff to make some cute food treats for school.  I'll share later!

{On a side note, did anyone notice that I have succumbed to blog pressure and changed my spelling of "mantle/mantel"?  I'm struggling to keep it consistent, but I'll try to make it stick.}

{Linking up with my favorite parties}

23 comments:

Lee said...

You need to hang a key from the birds mouth~cheesy but cute!
I like all your ideas. You got very creative- that happens after a trip to Hobby Lobby. Thanks for sharing!

Tisha said...

It's hard to see from the photo, but he does have a little key! I like the key theme - I need to dig up a few more.

Kimbo Bimbo said...

I love the blocks! LOVE THEM. I may have to make my own. The chalkboard paint makes them so flexible.
All in all I love your display!

Tisha said...

Thanks, the blocks have been really fun. I did "Joy to the World" at Christmas, "Happy 2012" and "Look who's 3!" with a cupcake. Now I just need more colors of chalk markers.

Camille said...

This is darling!! I am loving the Be Mine blocks! I want to make some . . . We have a link party every Saturday and would love to have you come share this! Have a great day!
Camille
SixSistersStuff.com

Sherry said...

This is beautiful! I love it all!
Sherry's Bees Nest

Susan said...

This is adorable! I wish I had just a fraction of your creativity! I'm currently struggling just to put together an everyday mantle, so it's hard to imagine trying to create one for Valentine's Day.

Thanks for all the inspiration you give!

Danni Baird @ Silo Hill Farm said...

I love your mantel decor! It's all so beautiful and thank you sharing your idea of making your own chip letters and how to make them stand up! I'm going to try it. I'm following you now!

Cherished Events said...

This is fantastic! Love love love! It makes me want to start decorating as well.

Brooke @ Inside-Out Design said...

So cute!! I've never decorated for Valentines Day either. I don't know why; I always enjoy the holiday but I've never taken the time to decorate for it. Your lovely decor is making me want to start though!

Jordan@the2seasons said...

This is so pretty for a Valentine mantel. I guess I need to take down my new years decorations from my mantel and start getting some Feb. decorations up.

Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants said...

Love your mantle, so very sweet!

Shabby Soul said...

I have a frame with no glass & plan on making your heart picture today! Thanks for the inspiration!!

Between U & Me said...

I have a soft spot for mantels and yours is just so stinkin' sweet! I would love if you would share this at the Crazy Cute link party happening at Between U & Me right now! I've got a totally awesome giveaway this week, too!
www.betweenuandme.com

Lindsi B said...

I found you on Tip Junkie. Would you please share this with my readers for our Fun Stuff Fridays Valentine's Linky Party? I think it would be a great fit. http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/02/14-days-of-valentines-fun-stuff-fridays.html

Wendy Mac said...

This looks great!! I love the blocks!

Wendymacdesigns.com

Kristen Turner said...

I love valentine's day! Beautiful display :) Found you via TT&J link up btw!

Gallamore West said...

I love everything about it! I'm a HUGE burlap fan and I love decorating with little birds too. My Valentine's Day mantel is actually a "love birds" theme with a burlap banner and burlap tied on birdhouses :) I'm your newest follower- saw you linked up at TT&J. I'd love for you to stop by my blog and follow me back if you'd like.
Have a great weekend!
xo,
Laurie @ Gallamore West :)

Unknown said...

So, so, SO cute! I keep seeing all these amazing mantels around the blogosphere, and it actually make me really sad that I don't have one to spruce up!

You did so great!

Thanks for linking up with Feature Friday Free-for-All! : )

~Abbie

Emily @ 52 Mantels said...

Oh goodness, I love your mantel!! SO pretty and festive. I really love the banner!!

Thank you SO much for linking up! I've featured this today on my mantel monday!! :)

Dawn's Craft Place said...

Oh how pretty your mantel looks with all the Valentine decor

Leslie said...

Wonderful job! Newest follower.

Amanda Dale said...

Love the speciman art! Thanks for linking up at Cowgirl Up! Hope to see you next week!
Thanks,
Amanda