Sunday, January 1, 2012

think pink

It seems our home is in a constant state of flux.  I am always repainting, redecorating, or moving furniture around, sometimes so much that a room is never finished.  The children's bedrooms have come the closest, but the last few years, just as I was about to say, "Done!" we've learned another baby was on the way.

This summer, I was near to finishing up the room shared by our two girls.  But since we were expecting another girl in November, I pulled a classic switcharoo and moved our oldest daughter across the hall.  This meant our 3-year-old and the baby would share a room, and threw a crib and changing table into a space already full of furniture.

Still, we managed to find a place for it all, and now once again, the project is nearing completion.  Today, I'll share my initial inspiration photos and current pictures.  Then I'm planning to craft a couple of accessories to show you throughout the week. 

Inspiration...
Photos from Rosenberry Rooms (top two photos); HGTV (lower left); Decor Pad (lower right)
Paint & Fabric Choices
My starting point from these inspiration photos was a pink faux silk fabric (Poly Shantung in Champagne from JoAnn - $10 per yard, but I used a 50% off coupon) and pink & cream paint for wide stripes (Behr Southern Beauty 140C-1 & Ivory Mist 750C-1 in eggshell finish).  I already had a white matelasse coverlet and pillow shams which I wanted to use as well.

Next, I needed fabric for the window panels.  I was initially leaning toward Waverly "Tres Chic", but after completing a nursery for a client using Waverly "Duchess Damask Onyx", I fell in love with the bolder black and ordered that instead.  Both of these fabrics gave me the idea for black accents, which were absent from my inspiration pics but eventually took over.


As far as furniture is concerned, that room houses a full-size white iron bed.  I had a small chest of drawers that was white with bright green drawer faces and a white child's desk.  To tie them together, I painted the drawer faces black (with just a bottle of acrylic paint I had on hand) and bought some cheap wood knobs which I painted in the pink wall paint.  Later I thrifted another desk to make into a nightstand, which I'll show you another day.

I put together this mood board.


And here's how it turned out...
Still to come...
Dresser redo
Crib bedding

Linking up with my favorite parties:

8 comments:

daisyeyes.com said...

that looks awesome!

Claire said...

Following you from thrifty decor chick-stop by for a visit!!

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

Love the inspiration and the final result is gorgeous!
Happy new year to you!
XO
Kristin

Sherry said...

That looks really good. I love the black accents. I'm the same way when it comes to completing projects... I'm always tweeking and very seldom have said "Done"! And moving furniture!!!! Its pure therapy for me.

WhyCuzICan said...

SOOOOOO sweet! Wow! girlie, girlie, girlie!

Thanks for sharing :D
Visiting from HomestoriesAtoZ linky party tonight,

Smiles, Suzanne in NW Illinois @WhyCuzICan

Rachel @ Moments With My Miracles said...

It's so sweet!!! Visiting from AtoZ link party.

A Lived in Home said...

What an adorable pink room! I love the black damask fabric!

digraziarosa said...

beautiful!