Wednesday, January 18, 2012

round mirror tutorial




I have been wanting a small round mirror to hang over the girls' desk like the one in my inspiration photos.  I've seen several mirrors that I like, but everything has been the wrong size or the wrong price.  Last week at Hobby Lobby as I walked past a row of silver plate chargers, I was struck with an idea for crafting my own.  So, I grabbed a charger and made my way through the store for a couple of other items.  If you want to make one too, here's what you'll need:

{materials:}
  • Plastic silver plate charger (about 13" diameter) - $1.99
  • Candle holder mirror (about 8" diameter) - $2.99 (plus 40% off since all the candle holders were discounted that day)
  • Command Brand 3M Damage-free picture hanging strips (pack of 3 medium strips was about $3 - I used one strip for this project)
  • Adhesive - I used some liquid nails, but I bet my favorite Gorilla Glue would work great too.  

You'll notice from the photos below that I originally bought a Disc plate hanger to use.  However, as I was putting the mirror together, it occurred to me that the disc hanger wouldn't stick to the PLASTIC plate.  So I picked up a pack of picture hanging strips at Home Depot instead.



No rocket science involved here - just glue the mirror to the plate and let it set up for about 24 hours before you hang it.  If you've never used those little picture hanging strips before, just follow the instructions on the back.  They are very easy to use, and if you're like me you'll fall in love with them and start velcroing everything to the wall.


As I was leaving the store that day, I passed right by a mirror that looked nearly identical to this one I was about to make.  The price tag on it was $25.  So yea for me for saving twenty bucks!  I'm sure Starbucks is glad too, since that's where I will surely spend that savings.

Linking up with my favorite parties:

4 comments:

Jessica @ Sunny Tuesday said...

That is SUCH a great idea! It also has such a classic look - I love it! :)

Emily @ 52 Mantels said...

What a great idea!! I have tons of those chargers laying around. Hmm...maybe I'll do this.

Thanks SO much for sharing at my party! You are amazing!

PS. I love the pink stripes in your daughter's room!

Kelley @ TheGrantLife.com said...

Hi! Visiting from tt&j. What a super simple project! And cute too.. Im going to have to make one of these for my daughters room! :)

I would love for you to link these up to my Friday party if you get a chance!

Toodie said...

Great project; quick, simple and inexpensive. Looks awesome, and what a bonus to save yourself money!