Friday, December 2, 2011

shabby Christmas trees


Pin It

{materials}:
  • various fabric scraps, cut into 1" strips
  • cones (I made mine from cereal & frozen pizza boxes)
  • ceramic pots
  • paints & brush
  • floral foam
  • sticks, approximately the height of the cone + half-again as much
  • burlap
  • glue gun
  • toppers
I wanted my colors to be turquoise, green, & red, so I started by going through my scrap fabric stash and my acrylic paints to find anything that would work.  I also scoured the garage for light weight cardboard, ceramic pots of various sizes, and pieces of floral foam.  Then I sent my son in the yard with a hand saw and asked him to help me gather sticks for the project.

The trickiest part for me was making the cones, because although there are probably a million tutorials online, I decided to just wing it.  I just rolled and trimmed, and rolled and trimmed, till they turned out looking something like the Styrofoam cones I was too cheap to buy.

I started at the bottom of each cone and applied a line of glue.  Next, I grabbed a fabric strip from the pile and ruffled it in a way that reminded me of fluting a pie crust - sort of ruffling up a part, then pushing the next spot into the glue, then ruffling again.  Sometimes it wouldn't look right, so I'd just scooch it all up by sliding it around in the glue.  There was no rocket science involved.

Next, I painted the ceramic pots.  When they were dry, I glued in a piece of floral foam and inserted a stick in the center of each (with lots of glue to hold it in place).  Adding lots more glue on the top end of each stick, I placed the trees on top.  Then I glued on the toppers.

The final step was making the burlap root ball.  I squirted hot glue all over a strip of burlap and just kind of stuffed it in and around.  This is where I got burned the most.

All in all, I spent zero dollars since I had everything on hand.  The project took maybe two or three hours here and there.

The whole time I was making these, I was thinking, "Are these actually going to turn out cute, or do they look too much like funky birthday clown hats?"  So there is your upcycle after Christmas - add "2012" across the front and wear them as hats to a New Year's Eve party!

Linking up to my favorite parties.

and

6 comments:

Lina - Fancy Frugal Life said...

I love the ruffle trees! super cute idea ;)
Lina
Fancy Frugal Life

Sara said...

SO darling!! Hope you can link this up at my turquoise lovin' party going on right now!! http://www.sweetlittlegals.com/

A Lived in Home said...

These are precious! I love trees of all sizes! They are everywhere in my home!

Vicky said...

Love the cones you made. What a smart way to make them too. Great recycling. I am a new follower visiting from Ginger Snap Crafts. Vicky from Mess For Less

Krista said...

Those are adorable! I love the mixture of colors and patterns...very cute:)

Jacqueline said...

These are so cute! Thanks for your comment on my fabric scrap wreath!!