Friday, December 16, 2011

black & white Christmas stockings

Pin It

This week I made some whimsical black & white Christmas stockings for a friend (shhhh, it's a surprise gift).  Here are the supplies you'll need if you want to make your own:

{materials:}
  • 1/2 yard fabric (makes one and a half stockings, so you can get 3 stockings from a yard)
  • 1/2 yard of fabric for lining (makes one and a half to two stockings; I used white fleece)
  • 1/4 yard of fabric for cuff (enough for two stockings)
  • couple inches of thin grossgrain ribbon for hangers
  1. First make a stocking pattern.  I did a google image search for Christmas stockings and found a shape I liked.  Then I blew it up till it was about 18" long x 12" wide overall. 
  2. Using the pattern cut out a front & back for each stocking & a front and back lining, making the lining just slightly smaller around all the sides (the tops will be even).
  3. With right sides together, stitch stocking pieces to each other and lining pieces to each other.  Turn each right side out and press.
  4. Place lining down inside stocking, matching toe, heel, and side seams.  Pin top.
  5. Measure circumference of top of stocking.  Add 1" to this measurement for seam allowance, and cut cuff fabric this number x 9" high.
  6. With right sides together, sew cuff together at short sides.
  7. Fold cuff down in half with right sides out.  Place inside stocking, matching up raw edges at top.  Stitch around entire top/cuff.  The stitching will show on the outside of the stocking (cuff is still inside). 
  8. Now, fold cuff over the stitching and press.
  9. Tack ribbon in place for hanger.
Initial tag: cut circle out of cuff scraps with pinking shears.  Cut slightly smaller circle out of fleece scraps.  Using sharpie marker, draw initial.  (I traced mine straight off my computer screen after picking a font in Word).  Sew circles together with raw edges exposed.  Hand tack or pin to front.


Linking up to my favorite parties.

8 comments:

DM said...

These are SO cute. I made our stockings. They are about the only thing I have sewn in 3 years (and it just about took me 3 years). Nothing like yours, but still pleased. (Just don't check them too closely :-)

The Rosegarden in Malevik said...

Great Stockings :)
and do not miss.....

S
A
T
U
R
D
A
Y

S
H
O
W

O
F
F

It´s fun :)
WELCOME
Håkan ( The Roseman)

Miss Charming said...

Beautiful stockings! What a great gift. I bet you're friend will love them.

Sally said...

I love the colors! These are great...thanks for sharing! I'm your newest follower from the a2z party. If you get a chance, I'd love you to stop by my blog & maybe follow along too!
Sally
loveofhomes.blogspot.com

Meg said...

These are so beautiful! I love the black and white patterns you chose. Great job!

Ashley @ A {Blonde's} DIY Life said...

I just love the stockings you made! They are gorgeous!
I would love it if you linked this and any other projects to my new party!
http://ablondesdiylife.blogspot.com/2011/12/come-party-with-blonde-features.html
Happy Holidays!

Suzy said...

These are so cute! I love the color combo. Great tutorial too. Merry Christmas!

Rachel {BubblyNatureCreations.com} said...

These are so cute! I would love it if you could link it up here.. http://www.bubblynaturecreations.com/2011/12/project-party-weekend-come-link-up-your.html
Merry Christmas!
-Rachel