This week I made some whimsical black & white Christmas stockings for a friend (shhhh, it's a surprise gift). Here are the supplies you'll need if you want to make your own:
- 1/2 yard fabric (makes one and a half stockings, so you can get 3 stockings from a yard)
- 1/2 yard of fabric for lining (makes one and a half to two stockings; I used white fleece)
- 1/4 yard of fabric for cuff (enough for two stockings)
- couple inches of thin grossgrain ribbon for hangers
- First make a stocking pattern. I did a google image search for Christmas stockings and found a shape I liked. Then I blew it up till it was about 18" long x 12" wide overall.
- Using the pattern cut out a front & back for each stocking & a front and back lining, making the lining just slightly smaller around all the sides (the tops will be even).
- With right sides together, stitch stocking pieces to each other and lining pieces to each other. Turn each right side out and press.
- Place lining down inside stocking, matching toe, heel, and side seams. Pin top.
- Measure circumference of top of stocking. Add 1" to this measurement for seam allowance, and cut cuff fabric this number x 9" high.
- With right sides together, sew cuff together at short sides.
- Fold cuff down in half with right sides out. Place inside stocking, matching up raw edges at top. Stitch around entire top/cuff. The stitching will show on the outside of the stocking (cuff is still inside).
- Now, fold cuff over the stitching and press.
- Tack ribbon in place for hanger.
Linking up to my favorite parties.