Tuesday, November 1, 2011

stenciled canisters

Remember the honey-colored wood canister sets from the early 90's - the ones with the white lids and big wooden knobs?  (I'm the worst at taking BEFORE pictures, so you'll just have to trust me.)  With the help of this great free printable quarterfoil stencil from Tatertots & Jello, I transformed this outdated canister set into a fun kitchen accent.

I started by priming and painting each entire canister white.  Then I printed out the stencil and cut out a few of the black sections (the inside of the design) with scissors.
Pin It
Next I laid the stencil on the box, starting at the center front, and carefully traced the design onto the box with a pencil.  Notice I lined up the design evenly at the bottom of each canister.  I didn't worry about how the design met up on the back; I just drew a line down the center back and wrapped the stencil to the line.

After the design was all sketched out, I painted the canisters with a small craft brush and two coats of acrylic paint in DecoArt "Robin's Egg Blue".  Finally, I used a rub-on polyurethane to give it a durable top coat.

This project cost me 69 cents because I had everything on hand except the acrylic paint; it took about 2 days to complete to give the paint time to dry between coats.  And nearly every friend who comes into my kitchen says how much she loves them.  Me too!!

{Linking up}



Between Naps on the Porch, Today's Creative Blog, We are THAT Family, Ginger Snap Crafts, Shabby Creek Cottage, Between U & Me, Just a Girl, & Fingerprints on the Fridge.

16 comments:

Sally said...

Those look great!! I love the colors!

Fifi said...

Very lovely...Thank you for sharing!



New follower from the link party.

Kristin said...

They are so cute! I think I need a painting project :) Thanks for linking up to WFMW!

The Rosenau's said...

SO cute they turned out amazing!

Julianne

www.sewfantastic.blogspot.com

Between U & Me said...

I LOVE this! I would love if you would share this at the Crazy Cute link party happening at Between U & Me right now! I've got a totally awesome giveaway this week, too!
OOH! AND, I'm your newest follower! ;)
www.betweenuandme.com

cheerfulsimple said...

I love how the blue just pops. Great job!

Grandma Bonnie said...

The canisters look awesome. Stopping by from Get your craft on Tuesday. Hope you stop by for a visit.

the cape on the corner said...

oh my gosh, that looks amazing! love that pattern.

Ela @ Scrapidoodlelicious@blogspot.com said...

Great project. I also did some stenciling but for a throw pillows. I am a new follower here and Facebook. Hope you can drop by and visit my blog and follow along too!

Ginger said...

Featuring YOU today over on my blog! :) You were one of my favorites at last week's {wow me} wednesday party. :) Thank YOU for sharing!

Ginger @ gingersnapcrafts.com

http://www.gingersnapcrafts.com/2011/11/take-look-at-you-my-favorites_10.html

Sara said...

So pretty!! Would LOVE it if you would share this project at my turquoise lovin' party going on right now!! http://www.sweetlittlegals.com/2011/11/turquoise-lovin-13.html

Decor & Harmony @ 4290 said...

Clever and cute! Every countertop should have a pop of color!

RHome410 said...

A wonderful and fun accessory to brighten up your kitchen! The transformation is wonderful.

These canisters caught my eye in the It's a Cinch party.

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

Those are so cute! Seriously ...

:)

Linda

Kelly @ Eclectically Vintage said...

Love the color, the pattern - everything!

Thanks for linking to our Cinch party.
Kelly

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

These are so great, the perfect pop of color... and I am loving turquoise right now. :) I sure do appreciate you supporting the party! Karah