Monday, November 21, 2011

my Thanksgiving table

After pulling together lots of ideas over the last couple of weeks, I have finally finished my Thanksgiving table:


I'm a little fickle with decorating, and trends do change quickly, so some holidays I'm tempted to run out and buy all new decorations - whatever is in.  But there are very few people with a truly "disposable" income who can clean out and buy all new fun stuff from one year to the next (and I am definitely not one).  So, my two mantras for seasonal decorating on a budget are {1} use what you have; then {2} buy what you'll use.
 
My budget for my 2011 Thanksgiving table decorations was $40.  I knew I would spend a lot of this on a new tablecloth (which I'll tell you about in a minute), so most of my roundup had to come from things on hand.  My burlap "runner" is a yard of unfinished burlap that I am planning to use for another project.  I washed and dried it, squared up the edges, and pulled the ends into a loose fringe.  The candlesticks were on our table last year (pre-spray paint). Cardstock and jute twine were on hand to complete the placecards.  And the mums came from a neighbor's garden.

One thing I wanted to buy for my Thanksgiving table this year was a custom-sized white tablecloth.  We acquired this larger table over the summer, so I didn't have a nice tablecloth for special occasions.  I made this one using a costume satin from Joann, which I got on sale after Halloween.  I sewed it with the shiny side down.  This was about half of my $40 budget.  With the rest of the money, I bought a bag of walnuts at Target and some pumpkins and butternut squash from a local farmer's tent.  I plan to make pumpkin bread, squash soup, and walnut something next weekend.  So technically, maybe these should have come out of my grocery budget, and I can put back the rest of that money to spend on Christmas decor next week...

Linking up to my favorite parties!

2 comments:

Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decorating said...

Your table is really beautiful. It certainly looks like you spent way more than you did!

Sherika Lovett Alston said...

Love your table!!! Great job!! Your newest fan!!